Heritage / Cultural Heritage
A cultural monument of national importance
Franja Partisan Hospital is a symbol of international alliance and resistance against Fascism and Nazism in the time of WWII. It is a symbol of partisan medical activities and speaks to the incredible self-sacrifice and humanity of the medical staff and other staff in their care for the wounded.
The complex of the Franja Partisan Hospital consists of 14 wooden cabins and several auxiliary facilities. These were built gradually from December 1943 to May 1945 in the narrow and not easily accessible Pasice gorge in the Dolenji Novaki village near Cerkno. The hospital was named after the partisan physician Dr. Franja Bojc Bidovec, who took over the position of administrator in the hospital soon after its foundation. This was one of the best-equipped secret partisan hospitals with a surgery cabin, an X-ray cabin, a handicapped care facility, and even a small power plant. It could take in about 100 wounded people. The total number of the patients, among which most were heavily wounded, was 578. There were also several separate units for the not severely wounded persons under “Franja’s” administration. The total number of patients in all the units was about 900 patients of various nationalities.
The Franja Partisan Hospital is a cultural monument of national importance, which is entered in the UNESCO’s Tentative List of World Heritage, and bears the European Heritage Label.
The monument was completely reconstructed after the flood that destroyed it in September 2007, and has been open again for visitors since May 2010. Despite the loss of authentic tangible heritage, it remains a symbol of international alliance and resistance, and above all a precious reminder of humanity, nobleness, and camaraderie.
More info at: Partizanska bolnica Franja